There are many differences between working at a public school vs. a private academy (hagwon) in Korea. The biggest difference interested individuals need to know is that a Hagwon is primarily a business while a public school is a standard school. The following also tends to be the biggest differences: Working hours – Hagwons teachers work from the afternoon until night time while public school teachers work in the morning until late afternoon. Salary – Hagwon teachers usually enjoy higher salaries and potential for raises. Vacation – Public school teachers enjoy around 20 days of paid vacation while hagwon teachers usually have around 5-10 days of paid vacation.
Articles in this section
- What are schools looking for in the introduction video?
- Can I arrive in Korea before my contract starts?
- Can I speak to the current native English teacher at the school?
- How can I increase my chances of getting a position?
- How long do I have to decide to accept an offer from a school?
- If I can’t obtain a job this semester, can I apply again for the following semester?
- Can I start midway through the semester in the EPIK, GEPIK, SMOE, or GOE program?
- Can I apply for several different positions at the same time?
- Can I apply for EPIK, GEPIK, SMOE, and GOE at the same time?
- What is the difference between a public school and a private academy (hagwon)?