F4 visa, Korean national, military service, Teach English

How to Apply F4 visa from Overseas Korean consulate

General Information 
  1. Overseas Korean Visa is a multiple entry visa valid for 5 years and the sojourn period for 2 years. 
  2. The F-4 Visa holder should apply for a Resident Card(거소증) at the local Immigration Office in Korea before 90 days.
  1.  If a Korean male between 18 to 40 years old, who has a dual citizen formally renounced Korean nationality after May 1st, 2018 without performing Korean military service, he will not be able to obtain an F-4 visa until the year when he becomes 41 years old.
  2. If a Korean male between 18 to 40 years old became naturalized another nationality after May 1st, 2018 without performing Korean military service, he will not be able to obtain an F-4 visa until the year when he becomes 41 years old.
  3. If the applicant who violated the Korean Immigration Law in the past 3 years and charged with fines ₩7,000,000 altogether. 
  4. If the applicant who sentenced to jail in the past 5 years.


  1) A person with a parent(s) or grandparent(s) of foreign nationality who once held Korean nationality.

   (A) Required Documents from a parent(s) or grandparent(s) : 
     1. Renunciation Application form(국적상실신고서, if applicable)
     2. Copy of US Naturalization Certificate
     3. Copy of valid US/UK/CA/IR/AU/NA/SA Passport
     4. Copy of Korean Family Registry Personal/Kinship Certificate (기본증명서, 가족관계증명서)
     5. Copy of Petition for Name Change (if applicable)

    (B) Required Documents for Visa applicant 

      1. Criminal history record check issued by FBI and apostille confirmation by US Department State Office of Authentications

   ※ Exemption object: ① 60 years of age or more, ② Children under 13 years of age, ③ Independence patriots and family of the deceased, ④ Special contributor

       2. Certificate of proficiency in Korean (one of the following documents): ① TOPIK first grade or more, ② Sejong Hakdang elementary level 1B or more

    ※ Exemption object: ① He or She had a Korean nationality in the past time, ② 60 years of age or more, ③ Children under 13 years of age, ④ He or She has been lived in Korea with the F-4 visa

      3. Valid US passport 

      4. Visa application form
      5. Certificate of Birth
      6. Visa Fee ($45 for American)
      7. 1 passport photo


    ▶ if a Korean male between 18 to 40 years old without performing Korean military service and became an American citizen before May 1st, 2018.
      . Copy of one or both parents must also be a foreign citizen or permanent resident  
    ▶ A Korean male with performing Korean military service
      . Copy of the certificate of military completion or military waiver issued by Military Man Power

※ Notice to Persons Born Overseas to One or Two Korean Parents
   - Korean nationality laws state that a child born anywhere overseas to parents of Korean citizenship might be dual citizens in certain cases even if the birth is not registered in Korea because they have inherited the Korean nationality from their parents.
  - A child born overseas up to June 13, 1998, automatically follows their father’s country of citizenship
  - A child born overseas beginning June 14, 1998, to a father and mother who became naturalized (or never had Korean heritage) before the child’s birth, the child DOES NOT have dual citizenship

  - If either the father or mother was a Korean national at the time of the child's birth, the child Is A Dual Citizen and the birth must be registered in Korea. 

  - The child may choose to either formally renounce their Korean citizenship, called “Gook Jeok E-tal Shin Go,” (국적이탈신고)

Visa Application Process

● You can apply for a visa at the Korean Consulate in person or by mail.

● Once you submit the required documents, the visa processing takes 5~7 days.

● Upon your visa application, you may be asked to submit additional documents

#Korean consulate in San Francisco 


    • Related Articles

    • Korean ID Application Process for F visa holders (Resident Registration Card / 거소신고증)

      F Visa holders must apply Residence Registration card (거소신고증) after your arrival.  by the time you are applying your ID, they also request the same documents which you may already submit to the Korean consulate for visa permission. Make sure you are ...
    • I am an EPIK teacher, how to apply E2 visa?

      We advise you to contact the nearest Korean consulate in advance. https://support.korvia.com/portal/en/kb/articles/the-list-of-the-korean-consulate-s-contact-information Step 1. Verify your personal information on NOA (Notice of Appointment) and ...
    • Korean Citizenship Status Check

      Korean Nationality Status Check Guideline 1. How to Know Whether You Have Korean Citizenship Regardless of your birthplace and current citizenship, if your father was a Korean citizen or a Permanent Resident of Australia, Canada, Ireland, New ...
    • How to apply F-6 Visa from Overseas Korean Consulate

      General Information  F6 visa is a marriage migrant visa for who married a Korean citizen.  Documents to prepare A passport and an ARC  Application form (attached)  A photo (3.5 * 4.5)  Fee (130,000 KRW)  A Family relation certificate (가족관계증명서) Proof ...
    • How to Apply E2 visa from Korean consulate in China

      There are increasing numbers of applicants who are currently in China and wish to move their jobs in Korea. Korean consulate in China seems not too familiar issuing Korean working permit to those Non-Chinese applicants.  This is the information that ...