Verifying a University Degree in Canada

Verifying a University Degree in Canada

Canada is not a signatory to the Hague Apostille Convention and therefore does not issue apostilles. How do I get a legally verified document for the visa process in Korea? 

The Canadian equivalent to an apostille is the Consular Seal affixed by the Korean consulate. The consular seals will be affixed on the official document issued by the local Canadian government or organization in the consulate's jurisdiction. Regarding academic documents, they verify a university degree only, and they do not deal with diplomas from unaccredited institutions or TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certificate. 

Verifying a Canadian University Degree typically involves 3 steps: 

Step 1 - notarize your degree. University degrees should be first notarized by a notary public in order to get the consular seal. Bring your original degree to a notary public and make a certified true copy of it. 

Step 2 - prepare the required documents for the verification process. They are: 
  1. Original degree 
  2. Notarized photocopy of degree 
  3. Passport 
  4. Passport copy: information page in color 
  5. Transcript in a sealed envelope from the university 
  6. Fee: 5.20 CAD
  7. Prepaid return envelope (Xpresspost National from Canada post): applicable if you should mail documents to Consulate 
Step 3 - send your notarized degree to be authenticated by Global Affairs Canada. And then verify the authenticated degree in the Korean Consulate in Canada. The consular staff checks if the authenticated degree and the supporting documents meet their requirements. When they are appropriate, the Consulate affixes the seal on your degree, confirming that it has been verified. The general processing time is 7 working days. 

You can find a wealth of information on the website of each Korean consulate in the following. 
Korean consulate in Toronto -
Korean consulate in Vancouver -
Korean consulate in Montreal -